Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wedding Dress







This is the dress I wore for my own wedding, in May of 2004. It took me ages to find it, but one day, shopping at a tiny little bridal shop in Edmonds, I glanced at it and put it back on the rack; I was looking for a "pouf-pouf princess dress." The sales assistant saw me glance at it and pulled it out for me to try on. It was the last dress I tried, after all the "poufs" failed to flatter my ego (or figure). As my best friend zipped it up, I really did cry. I felt stupid for crying over a dress, and oh so cliche, but I knew. This was THE one. THE dress I'd wear to marry the boy that I loved. And I did. On a sunny day in May, in Northern California, surrounded by everyone I knew and loved. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

And I still love this dress...actually, it's this dresses fault that I began this photojournalistic exploration, because I couldn't bear to cut it up. Much as I know it'll never happen, I can still hope that someday my daughter might just like it enough to think about wearing it.

No comments: